Sunday, March 08, 2009

Brazilian Etiquette: Lessons Learned

  • I've kissed so many random people that it's no longer funny. (Ok, it's cheek kissing, but still... my blood still says I'm Asian and we just don't do that.)
  • Brazilian time means if you're meeting someone, then you must be at least half an hour late. If it's a party, then you should always come a minimum is one hour past the start time. If someone is picking you up from the airport and you've never been to the area, is moving there for at least a year, and you can't speak the language, expect 1.5 hours of pure panic and stress.
  • From my travel book: Brazilian women dress "sexy" in all situations, whether business, formal or casual. Foreign women who want to blend in should avoid wearing overly formal, conservative attire. My T-shirts and jeans are apparently too conservative here. My boss even told me to get chicken cutlets to help in certain areas.
  • While the OK sign means good back home, here in Brazil, it is the equivanent to the middle finger. I had already shown the OK sign to my boss at least 10 times before someone finally told me what it meant.

3 comments:

Glenn said...

nice new look on your blog lainey :)
i disagree with the kissing thing, i'm filipino, and we kiss everyone on the cheeks as well! hmmm... might be a spanish thing hey?

Unknown said...

hahahhahahaha....flippin off your new boss...nice. that'll be weird, not to see you in t-shirts and jeans

Ivan said...

I love it...... very entertaining and what an awesome experience.

Hmmm, women have to dress sexy, sounds like my kind of place.

Btw, you have to send me your address, have goodies to send you....