Monday, May 28, 2007

The Cosmic Connection

I was in Notting Hill today, hoping to find a Bill Bryson book for under £1, when a man asked me for the time. After a struggle with my jacket, I looked at my watch and said, "It's 1:45." The man smiled and thanked me. I started walking and he followed. "It's such a horrible day today," he chimed. With the freezing wind blowing in my face and the ominous clouds above me, I concurred.

Then, the weird started. He looked at me with his eyes bulging out. "Your aura is green. You have a lot of uncertainty in your life right now." Suddenly, he grabbed my left hand and began to touch my fingers. A bit shocked, I just stood there.
"You are a very sensitive person. Did you play the piano when you were younger?" "Hmm... yes."
"You like to travel, don't you?"
With an eyebrow raised, I responded with a head nod for yes.
"Are you a writer? You should be a writer and write about your travels. Or you should write a play." At this moment, I was debating if I should be running, screaming or staying to hear more. I chose the latter.
"And in your previous life, you were a ballerina." I let out a chuckle here. Then, I took back possession of my hand.
I looked at him and he looked at me. "Things happen for a reason. We were suppose to meet today," he said.
Being the quick-minded person that I am (haha), I gave the "oh crap I'm late" look, then quickly got out of there.

The whole experience was a bit trippy. All he did was touch my fingertips and got all that information about me. I can't decide if he's my new stalker or if he should open his own "psychic friends network."

3 comments:

Glenn said...

woah man... that's freaky!! you should have stayed for more!

Thom said...

Not to be a cynic or anything (which I am), but this sounds a bit like that John Edwards show from a few years back. Not positive, mind you, but here's some thoughts...

1. He asks you the time, you stop, you tell him, and he can immediately tell you're an American. (Aha!)
2. He teels you you have a GREEN aura. I would've said black, knowing your colour preferences; but what do I know about green auras, really?
3. Of COURSE you like to travel! You're an American in England! If you didn't like to travel, you'd be at Disney Land!
4. Yes, you're a writer. I've had at least a dozen customers and two coworkers tell me I should write a book about my time in Japan. You SHOULD write about your travels! I love reading about them! (This is where it falls apart) Everyone suggests writing about travels. Or writing a play. Or acting in a play. Or playing basketball. Or teaching basketball players to sing in plays. Or having singing basketball players teach you physics. :)
5. The guy was wrong: in a previous life, you were the notorious Pirate Captain Barnacle Bill McGee. In a previous life, I was former President Grover Cleveland. Everybody seems to have cool past lives; nobody ever says, "Yeah, I died of the Plague at fourteen."
6. Everything DOES happen for a reason! This reason is for you to follow him back to his friends, have them tell you your past life story for the low, low price of 35 quid! It's amazing! :)

PS - Did you ever find the Brysson book? I looked for Chesterton books there and couldn't find any. :(

elaine said...

thom, thanks for your prospective. i need a good slap of reality every once in a while.

and those bloody bookshops wanted at least £5 for the book. ridiculous!!!!