Tuesday, June 12, 2007

What Happens In Croatia Stays In Croatia

Just returned from: Central Dalmatian Coast, Croatia
Some thoughts...
  • Island hopping in Croatia was awesome. Although, it still doesn't compare to island hopping in Thailand. Rocks with no sand does not equal a beach!
  • Again, I met my creepy 40+ year old crusty man. The first guy I'll call Croatian banana man. I was in the Green Market in Split taking pictures. Croatian banana man was holding two bunches of bananas and just happened to be right in the middle of my shot. He smiled proudly showing off his bananas, persuading me to take a photo of him and the bananas. I did. An hour later, Croatian banana man saw me again by the pier. The bananas were gone though. He made a feeble attempt on a conversation but since my Croatian was limited to hvala (thank you), not much was said. But he did get out the word "address" then pointed at me. So, if there's an Ellen Chan living in London, you should be expecting a package from a Jofu Petrovic sometime soon.
  • My second creepy 40+ year old crusty man encounter happened at a bench as I waited for a boat to Hvar. I was reading my guide book when the man suddenly said "excuse me." I looked up. "Where are you from?" he said slowly. "America." The expression on his face changed to a look of confusion. Remembering my low-level 7B Nova days, I started using hand motions. "Why?" with a shrug of the shoulders. "My hair?" Awkward silence. "Yes, yes, yes. America has many people," he patiently said. "American is unpopular, yes?" I smiled, nodded, then returned to my guide. About 5 minutes later, I heard another "excuse me" from the man. "I'm not the aggressor," crusty man said. Again, I smiled then quickly gathered my things and left.
  • A lady mistook me as a Croatian and asked me in Croatian for directions! The sun must have been in her eyes. (And someone said that couldn't happen. HA!)
  • I got some funky tan going. But, it doesn't matter because I actually got a tan. Woohoo!!!
  • I'm not sure how this all happened but I ended up taking home an unexpected souvenir from Croatia. A Canadian. (It's a very long story...)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for traveling and writing Eraine... I read your stuff and feel like I'm right there with ya. You have a really clear and easy way of writing that allows me to get the message 150%! Good work. :) High five!

Glenn said...

Hey travel bug! I never get tired of your whacky stories and experiences :)

It also seems like the wierd guys are always just around the corner for you... what does that mean?!