Saturday, June 30, 2007

The Eurotrip: Part 3-Dear Bedbugs, I'm Not Your Dinner

Current location: Athens, Greece
An older Greek gentleman sat next to me on the train from the airport to the city. He noticed that I kept staring at the map off to the side. "Do you want a subway map of Athens?" he asked and then grabbed his copy from his pocket and gave it to me. Wanting to be that tourist who tries to learn about local language, I asked him to teach me how to say thank you in Greek. "Efharisto." "Huh? One more time please." "Efharisto," he said with ease. I tried repeating but my "thank you" sounded more like me trying to cough up snot. He laughed, then for the next 5 minutes, I got a lesson on pronunciation. Wong and a few others around snickered in my feeble attempts. (I probably would've done the same thing if I had to hear me try to speak in Greek.)
Do I like Athens? Not really. But it's probably because I was also eaten alive on my first night by some very hungry bedbugs. I woke up with over 50 red spots and a breakout of hives. (I would thank that one special bug who got me on my right eyelid. Now, I'm a pirate and I don't need an eye patch. ARGGGGH!!!)

No comments: