Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Lost in translation

Days like today makes me want to hop on the first plane back to the States. I decided to change my rehab place. The first place I went to just stuck a heat lamp on my knee for 10 minutes, massaged my leg for another 10, and then asked for ¥5000 (~$50). I told my little situation to one of my students, who just happens to be a doctor specializing in physical therapy. (I love Dr. Manzai!!!) So, she hooked me up with another hospital that actually does physical therapy. Now, my problem was my student is a very busy lady, running between 3 hospitals at any given day. So, when I went, she wasn’t there and there was no other English speaking person around. They tried asking me questions in English to the best of their ability and I responded likewise. I was able to get treatment. But at the end, the head PT, had his laptop out with a translator all ready to go. He typed a sentence in Japanese, the computer would think about then it would spit out some equivalent to an English translation. Then, I would do the vise-versa. We did this for about 30 minutes. I’m sure if we were able to verbally communicate with each other, it would’ve only taken 10 minutes max. Frustration is the only thing that pops in my mind now. Blah!!!!!

No comments: