Friday, January 26, 2007

The Adventure Begins

Current location: Chiang Mai, Thailand

It was a long journey to northern Thailand, but I made it and that's all that matters. After a 6 hour plane ride from Nagoya (with a 10 minute layover in Hong Kong... I had never been as sad to not have stayed in an airport than in HK), I took a 12 hour overnight train to Chiang Mai, aka a trekker's paradise.

Being that I'm not so into trekking, I partook in other leisurely activities like dodging through traffic with my rented granny bike, pretending to be a student at Chiang Mai University, eating Thai curry, and having my teeth cleaned. (Ok, so I know having the teeth cleaned isn't what one would think to do while on vacation, but it was dirt cheap! 500 bhats=~$15!!!)

Oh yeah, I almost died today. I was sitting next to a tree when all of a sudden, a coconut came crashing down 2ft away from me. If I was meant to go today, I would've had preferred something a little more dramatic like stomped by a deranged elephant or eaten by geckos while sleeping. Anything but "She died because of a coconut."

No comments: