Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Guilt

This picture says it all...

Last term, on one of the assignments for class, we were allowed to work in groups. I ended up working with two guys I'm quite close with, but there was also this lady who we'll call Z. From the beginning, Z started chatting up with me since we had one commonalty between us: an island where she had lived for the past 7 years and my family is originally from. And from the beginning, I didn't have a great affinity for her. She was loud, extremely opinionated and has a bit of a potty mouth. So, when we had to do the assignment, she had asked one of the guys if she could join in which he agreed. It's just say every time we met up at the library, we got yelled out because of Z's voice levels. After we turned in our assignment, we had our polite "hi"s then went on our way.

Two weeks ago, right before the start of break, Z emailed the guys and I about working together as a group on the next assignment. I purposely didn't respond to the email hoping that I was on holiday bumming around Eastern Europe the entire time and I didn't have a chance to check on my email as my excuse. And I know one of the guys told her he was going home (and requiring an trip on an airplane to do so) for the holidays, and therefore he couldn't work on it as a group. (It was a lie!)

Today, we had a study group for class. I was expecting the usual group of 5, but when I got there, there sat Z. I tried not to make eye contact the whole time and the guy who lied about his whereabouts had to do some backtracking to cover his butt.

In an ideal world, everyone gets along with everyone else. But sadly, it doesn't work like that. There is a reason why people lie: to hide the shame, to cover the truth. I did it because I felt guilty. I really wanted to be her friend, but at the end, I had to be as far away from her as possible. Does this make me a bad person?

No comments: