Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Me and My *CRAZY* Accent

I was in London for the day. While waiting to pay for a sandwich right before the train was about to leave, a gentleman tapped my shoulder and the proceeding dialogue took place:

Gentleman: Could I go ahead of you? I only have this [showing me a candy bar and exact change in his hand].
Me: I'm really sorry, but my train is about to leave.
Gentleman: WOW! You've got a CRAZY accent. [eyes in bewilderment] Where are you from?
Me: I'm from the States.
Gentleman: So you're going to board a train to the States from here? [chuckle] I heard that all Americans were nice.
Me: Hmm... yeah. Of course! [while inserting my debit card]
Gentleman: [handing over his exact change and showing the lady what he had in his hand then looks at me] See? Easy! [pats my back and walks away while I'm still waiting for my receipt]

Ok, I've had my accent called "too American", "strange" and "annoying." (The "annoying" bit was accepted because I had called my Aussie friend's accent as "incomprehensible" beforehand.) But for some reason, "crazy" and especially the way this guy had said the word left me slightly shocked. 

After the hour long ride back to uni, I've come to this conclusion: to each his own. (Alright, I borrowed that quote.) Accents make everyone more attractive in one way or another.

No comments: