Thursday, October 19, 2006

My morning routine

A friend asked me today what is it that I do in physical therapy everyday. So, here goes.

I'm only allowed to go to PT from 9a-12p. (Their rules... So, I go as soon as I wake up to beat the rush.) I ride on the subway for about 13 minutes. (Yes, I've timed it before.) Then, from the station to the hospital is about a 15 minute walk. Along the way, I stop by the QQ and get me a yogurt drink (for the calcium) and coffee (for my sanity). Once I enter the hospital, I check in and am greeted by the receptionist who usually makes a comment about my appearance that day. (I go so often that they recognized when my hair is up or down or when my days off are based on my clothes. It's a little scary.) Then, I go to triage and count how many people are on IV drips. (They love IV drips here. Have a hangnail? Get an IV drip.) I also have my blood pressure taken. Then, I walk into the rehabilitation room where all the therapists yell in union "Ohaiyo gozaimasu!!!" (Good morning!). I sit down and take off my knee brace while they prepare the electrodes. (Who needs coffee when you can have your leg zapped with electricity at 9 in the morning?! Mr. Itou, my therapist, has been upping the voltage too. Crazy man...) During my 15 minute zapping session, I usually attempt to study for the Japanese Proficiency test (the studying is not going so well), watch the other patients and give them all the polite head nods, and listen to the carnival music that the voltage machine plays. Afterwards, Mr. Itou usually readjusts my knee cap for 10 minutes while trying to make conversation. (I do appreciate how hard he tries to communicate with me. He told me he studies English when he's at home now but he always forgets what he had studied. So, we talk by making sound effects and hand motions.) Then, it becomes a mish-mash of exercises for another 30-40 minutes. And that's the end.

That's my typical morning now. I can't sleep in anymore but I'm OK with it. It's for a good cause... I hope.

No comments: