Thursday, February 08, 2007

Ode To The Monks

Current location: Luang Prabang, Laos


After another brief stint on another island in Thailand, I decided enough was enough. So, after a 2 hour boat ride back to the mainland, a 6 hour bus ride back to Bangkok, a 4 hour wait at the airport, and a 2 hour ride on the plane, I found myself in Laos not sure what to do with myself.

Luang Prabang is a little sleepy town located in northern Laos. Life moves slowly here but I don't really mind. Monks walk the streets with the locals. Little kids try to push their merchandise. This one Laotian girl sat by me yesterday while I was reading by the Mekong River. I let her draw in my notebook even after I refused to buy her bracelets. Then, she tried reading my book. Funny girl. I eventually gave in and bought one. I already lost the bracelet.

Today, I went mountain biking. Yup, you heard right, mountain biking... bum leg and all. I rode for roughly 65km. It was great going through some remote villiages with the kids waving and saying "hi" or "sawadee". We even went through a school. Everyone just stopped and stared at me and the 2 Canadian girls I rode with but in a good way. My ass has never been in so much pain before but it was worth it.

(Now, must get off this chair, but how???)

No comments: